- Whenever a child does something that hits me funny I question it. Why does that bug me? Is this something that would bug others? Am I just distracted and being selfish?
- If I determine there is a valid complaint, then I try to discern what character is lacking. If a child is negative, even if just about himself, then he is lacking thankfulness and that would be my focus.
- What other areas is this child not being thankful?
- A full out emphasis on thankfulness would take place.
- My prayers for this child would be for a change of heart and for wisdom to guide.
- A sit down with the child would happen to explain what has been observed and Truth would be given to replace the current action. For an unthankful child I might share Ps. 104: 34 “May my meditation be pleasing to Him, as I rejoice in the Lord.” Pointing out that our thoughts need to be renewed by rejoicing in the Lord.
- Whether understanding is shown or not I will continue to pray for God to grant real understanding.
- Lastly, I will be patient. Repetition of God’s desire for us to be thankful and to rejoice in all circumstance would be common, but, I cannot change a heart only God can. I will continue to train, while expectantly waiting for God to do His work in “our” child.
Mentoring is popular. We are each supposed to have a mentor as well as be mentoring someone. I still maintain that as a mom with teenagers that my main mentoring happens at home. Here are some steps I walk through to help guide that mentoring.