I know a lot of you readers have small children, but don’t write this post off as not applicable. What better time to work through how you want your child’s relationship life to look like, than now! Why wait until they trip up or are in the heat of relationship to discuss what to do with your husband?
All I am going to share today is an outline of a Biblical Courtship Model. None of us know exactly how this is going to look with each of our children, yet, I believe this provides wonderful food for thought.
1. Pray and seek the Lord about this person over an extended period of time.
a. Ask God for an undistracted heart.
b. Watch from a distance (in groups)- the closer you get the harder it is to see clearly
c. Evaluate your motives-why am I interested in him/her?
d. Keep it between you God (waiting and trusting will be rewarded)
2. Seek Godly counsel about whether or not you are ready.
a. From your parents
b. From a spiritual leader who knows you and will speak truth to you
3. Get permission from the girl’s father and honor his requests.
4. Talk to her about your intentions.
a. I want to date with the intent to marry you
b. Discuss what work still needs to be done. And why I can’t commit to you today.
5. Seek Godly counsel about developing the plan for your relationship.
b. When and where will you spend time together?
6. Get engaged (keep engagement period as short as possible)
7. Get married!