Think about that for a second.
What better time of year to ponder this than during this gift giving time of year.
Let’s list some options we have when another gives a gift:
· Refuse the gift. “No, really I can’t take that.”
· Take it home and forget to open it.
· Open it and then throw it away.
· Observe the gift from afar and assume it is for someone else.
· Receive it. “Thank you so much!”
I see three applications here.
First, choose to receive every gift given you this year. No matter what the gift is, it has come from someone that spent time and money to remember and love you. Receive the love.
Secondly, as believers, God has given us His Spirit that gives us gifts every day. The fruit of the Spirit is ours if we receive it. Receive the love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness….
Lastly, if you are not yet a follower of Christ, then it is time to receive the greatest gift ever given, Jesus! Admit your need, recognize the Savior and invite Him to direct your life. Receive deliverance and hope for eternity.