- If I say, “Let’s go to Target instead of Wal-mart.” I am saying, “In place of Wal-mart I would like to go to Target.”
- If I say, “We are going to have fish tonight instead of hamburgers,” then we will not have hamburgers at
all, in place of hamburgers we are having fish.
- If I say, “I am going to try basil instead of oregano,” then something I have done before is being replaced by something new
Ephesians 6:4 “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”
- Instead of exasperation, we are going to train and instruct.
- We are not going to exasperate at all, instead we will train and instruct.
- Although we have exasperated before we are going to replace that with training and instruction.
Training and instruction!
Our children are frustrated, exasperated, from lack of guidance. This is not rolling out a list of rules; this is training, coming along side them and preparing them for what is coming.
I am back to explain, show and practice. Explain what is coming
and how to respond or act in any given situation. Show them how to handle an upcoming circumstance. Role play, either literally or verbally what a situation will be like.
The car is a great place to prep for upcoming interactions, as
well as replay successes and failures on the way home. We are on the same team; we want to help each other. I know some coaches rant and rave, but the best training comes from those that come along side and show they care.